You might be full from a delicious dinner but you’ll still never say no to a chocolate cake! You can be on a keto diet or just a person who doesn’t have a sweet tooth but once you see this chocolate cake with lava oozing out of it, you’ll give in and definitely take a piece of it! Whether it’s a birthday party or a Halloween party, whether it’s a get-together or it’s just you and your kids watching Frozen for the zillionth time on Netflix, this eggless chocolate lava cake will surely make your day so much better!
If you’ve been craving a chocolate lava cake for a really long time and been searching for an easy recipe with readily available ingredients, you’ve come to the right place!
The secret to making a fluffy and moist chocolate cake is mixing certain ingredients (for example the butter with the flour) accompanied with the right method.
Before we get to the ingredients used and the method followed, we’ve answered some frequently asked questions by people and some tips you can follow in your pursuit to make a fluffy moist chocolate cake!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What oil is best for a chocolate cake?
A. It’s up to you. You can use either coconut oil or almond oil or a mixture of both to the cake. You can also use butter in this cake. It all depends on the recipe you are using for a chocolate cake.
Q. What can you use instead of ramekins for a chocolate lava cake?
A. You can use a Bundt cake mould for a chocolate lava cake if you have one. The hollow in the middle is where you’ll be pouring the lava into!
Q. Why is my chocolate cake dry?
A. There are a lot of reasons behind a chocolate cake being dry. Either you’ve overmixed. The cake must have over baked the cake. We’ve mentioned some tips below so that you can bake a moist chocolate cake!
A FEW TIPS:
TIP 1: Whether you’re using oil or butter in your cake, make sure you mix the oil and butter with the flour together. This will reduce the chance of gluten formation.
TIP 2: Make sure you are baking your cake in the right temperature and at the right time. Many a times people either under bake the cake or over bake the cake because they’ve got the temperature and timing wrong.
TIP 3: Using the right amount of ingredients. Many people get super excited and get really impatient and end up using the ingredients in the wrong proportion. It’s best to keep all the measuring tools out in advance to avoid a mess while you’re in the process.
Now that we’re done with the FAQs and tips, a few décor ideas for this chocolate lava cake!
If it’s a Halloween party, you can bake this Bundt chocolate cake and top it with colourful chocolate like blue or green or even orange. Top it with some chocolate sprinkles and gummy worms for a gross effect.
If you’re going for a Peppa Pig themed birthday party for your little one, you can add some pigs lying around in the lava. And ta-da! You’ve made a Peppa Pig themed chocolate cake! Also, read 30 Most Popular Birthday Party Themes for Kids
You can add one or two strawberries with white chocolate drizzles to the cake or some M&M’s on it too!
Finally the EGGLESS CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE ingredients and method!
What you’ll be needing:
- A chocolate sponge cake
- Dark chocolate ganache
THE CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons icing powder or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4th teaspoon baking soda
- Wet Ingredients
- 75-100 grams salted or unsalted butter (Make sure the butter is at room temperature)
- 200 ml of condensed milk
- ½ water if you’re baking the cake in the oven and 1 cup water if you’re baking it in the microwave
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Start by beating the butter (which is at room temperature) for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar to the butter. Please make sure the sugar you are using is sieved twice in advance. You can mix the granulated sugar in the mixer grinder until it’s become powder. Mix it for another 5 minutes until the sugar has mixed well with the butter. You will understand that by the change in the colour. If you’ve used salted butter, the colour of the texture changes from yellow to white.
- Slowly start adding the all-purpose flour to the cake. It’s better to do it in 3 to 4 batches to ensure there are so lumps.
- Add 100 grams of condensed milk and ¼ cup water to this mixture.
- Add the dark cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda to this and keep mixing.
- Finally add the leftover condensed milk, the vanilla essence and the water to this recipe.
Give it a final mix and you’re done with the batter.
TIP: If you want, you can add espresso powder to the recipe too!
Butter the Bundt cake mould properly and pour in the batter. Tap the mould a few times to ensure there are no bubbles.
Make sure the oven has already been preheated at 180ºC for 10 minutes. Put the mould in the oven for 180ºC for 35-40 minutes.
While the cake is baking, you can get on the dark chocolate ganache for the lava.
THE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 200 grams of dark compound or dark cooking chocolate
- 200 grams of fresh cream.
If you want the ganache to be thick you reduce the amount of fresh cream added and if you want to make the ganache more flowy and liquidy, you can add more cream to it.
- If you are using dark compound for the recipe, chop them into small pieces and microwave it for about 30 seconds and mix it well. If the chocolate isn’t melted yet, put it in the microwave for another 10 seconds. (If you microwave the chocolate for a longer period, you might burn it.)
- Mix the fresh cream to the chocolate until it’s a smooth chocolatey mixture.
And your dark chocolate ganache is ready!
Another method to use make ganache without getting the chocolate burnt is by making it on a double boiler.
Add the chocolate and cream in a bowl. Take another bowl and fill it with water. Boil the water on the stove and put the bowl in the container that has the water in it. Keep mixing it from time to time until the ganache is ready!
Once the cake is baked, let it rest in the oven for about 30 minutes and take it out. Let the cake rest of another 30 minutes and take a knife to check if the cake isn’t stuck to the side of the mould. Once you’ve finished this step, take a cake board or a fancy plate and turn the cake upside down on it.
Pour in the dark chocolate ganache in the hollow area and let it cover it with the ganache.
Let it rest for another hour or so.
Cut a small piece of the chocolate cake and you’ll find the lava oozing out!
That’s how you can bake a HOMEMADE EGGLESS CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE!
You can similarly bake a marble cake using the same method, the only difference is you have add an equal measure of the vanilla cake and chocolate cake to the mould and bake it in the oven or just make a simple vanilla Bundt cake! For the vanilla cake, you can use the same recipe as above but the only difference is that you won’t be adding cocoa powder to the batter!
Hope you liked the recipe and the tips provided were useful!